Saturday, January 27, 2007

Back to black

When Tuyet's motorbike taxi guy picked us up yesterday, we recognized each other and smiled and nodded (he speaks no english, I speak no vietnamese). But apparently his first comment to Tuyet was "She's black!" On our Great Barrier Reef trip, Christina and I both tanned a lot (unwantingly), so I am about 3 shades darker than I have been the whole rest of the trip. The funny thing is that in South India, kids would point at me on the street and say in Tamil "white skin, white skin!" It was such an odd feeling being a whitey when I've usually been the darkest one around. In Malaysia and Singapore I blended in, as well as in Australia. Now I'm back to being a darkie as people here are more particular about being pale.

Tuyet and I had lunch at RMIT - some rice with pork-bamboo and bean sprouts - and a most delicious banana cake. We came home and napped and missed an evening run - Tuyet started running a few weeks ago and I was going to join her. I didn't realize I was tired until I laid down. So instead we went out for a big dinner with some friends at a really tasty Vietnamese place. We ordered loads of appetizers - mostly rice noodly things with yummy toppings - either as flat pancakes or spring rolls, and some dumplings. For the meal I had a delicious noodle dish. I can't remember the names of any of the dishes - maybe Tuyet can fill in details. I met some of her ultimate friends (she doesn't play but hangs out with them), Tino and Anne, who are trying to convince me to join them in Bali in April for a tournament. I'm considering. I also met Kevin and his gf Minh, and there happened to be another guy named Minh who just moved here a week ago.

Afterwards we went to a cafe, where they had live music playing. I enjoyed a banana-coconut-peanut smoothie, and Tuyet had a coconut ice cream (vanilla ice cream served in a coconut shell). The music was really nice and the atmosphere was relaxing - it seemed the type of place I would enjoy frequenting near retirement.

Today Tuyet is off to her consulting job and we have plans to practice with the Saigon Ultimate team - or at least I have plans to practice and Tuyet has plans to be nearby. Apparently, last year when I visited was her first and last time playing. I'll see if I can convince her to give it a go again.

No comments: