Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanks

Thursday was Thanksgiving. I got two last minute invites for dinners. I accepted the first one from John and Becca. They had some roast chickens, mashed potatoes, homemade guacamole (a real treat in Taiwan - avocadoes are expensive), homemade hummus, veggies, cranberry bread, and the final over the top treat was the homemade flourless chocolate cake. Sinful! I am truly thankful for having such good friends (with like-minded appetites).



Friday was another day of thanks - officially Teacher and Student Farewell Day - the last day of class at Shida for the quarter. My class decided to meet for lunch at one of my classmate's restaurants, Brass Monkey. Li Juan couldn't make it because of other plans and the He siblings were a no show. But it turned out quite nice to have an intimate lunch with Zhang Lao Shi and Ke Re (and then Li Shan who showed up an hour late - funny because she fell asleep on the MRT).

Ke Re's dad privately published a biography of his family. I got to glance through it - quite intriguing. I wouldn't mind owning something similar for my own family. The task of writing such a volume seems daunting, since the history goes so far back and there are so many people to track down - let alone the language barriers.

No comments: