Saturday, September 29, 2007

Da Run Fa

I had to laugh yesterday when I found out the real name of what I've been calling "Da Lu Hua". This is the giant hypermarket I went to with PoPo a month ago. Now that I know that she can't say the F sound and replaces it with H, and that the R and L are commonly interchanged, the real name of Da4 Run4 Fa1 and her approximation of the name Da Lu Hua makes sense. No wonder no one knew what I was talking about!

I've also cleared up the difference between her saying "niao" and her meaning of "niu" (bird vs ox).

Yesterday, for Confucius' Bday, my class went out to Luo 先生's restaurant, Cosmopolitan. He bought us all drinks and appetizers and desserts. I got the Eggplant Pepper Linguine, but was disappointed that it only came with half of one tiny eggplant. The desserts were VERY tasty though. The He siblings couldn't make it b/c they were going to Green Island. However, one of 張 (Zhang) Lao Shi's previous students came to join us. 他是法國人 (He is French). From Bordeaux in fact, where I just was in May this year. We got to practice a lot of Chinese listening and speaking which was nice.


Luo 先生 mentioned that his restaurants host a Language Exchange night the last Sunday of every month. 2 hours dedicated to Chinese and English. There's one coming up this Sunday that will likely be at Cosmopolitan, but possibly at the other restaurant closer to Nanjing E Rd MRT on Fuxing N Rd called Brass Monkey.

No comments: