Sunday, September 02, 2007

The Culprit

Last night I went to ShiDa Night Market for the first time. It's just south of NTNU and near NTU. I noticed this little stall first because of its long line. So I grabbed a number and waited with them.



It was a long wait because there was such high demand. You could order 1 for $7, 5 for $30, or 12 for $70. Some people ordered multiple boxes. It didn't make sense to wait for so long and only get 1, so I got a small pouch of 5. While waiting, I got to see the process of making them. Three people on the end each have their own cabbage bowl. They grab some pre-measured dough, shape it, add cabbage, some pork and then more cabbage. They then quickly bao them up and toss them into a pile. The bao-placer takes them from the pile and carefully arranges them onto the pan. The bao-cooker also helps place them, and manages oiling and peppering the bao. She also puts them in the bags. The number-caller takes care of orders and money. During wait times (while the bao are cooking), she breaks off pieces of dough for the bao-ers. Sometimes the bao-cooker helps do this too.



I also tried a red bean bao-zi (hong dou) and a yam mantou (excellent). I still haven't found a place that sells fresh made cha-siu bao. I might just have to fill up in Singapore. I ended with an almond milk with small bubbles drink.

Any one of these things could have been The Culprit. I ended up with some severe cramps, a heat wave and then vomiting today. I spent most of the day in my room, either suffering or sleeping. I think it was a case of food poisoning - whether it was from a night market item or just the water at home, or even something from days ago, I can't be sure. I am feeling better now, so no need to worry. I felt better enough by evening to go on a walk with PoPo to Liaoning St. She always gets excited to see her favorite foods, and we ended up getting loads of fruit from one of the markets. I was surprised when she picked out SEVEN custard apples - but she was so happy about them I didn't stop her.


4 comments:

Catherine Shu said...

Hello! I found your site through my Sitemeter--thanks for linking to me! I see you're at Shida, too--we should get bubble tea sometime. As for the food poisoning--ahhh! I've been scared of getting something myself with all this random snacking from different places I've been doing. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Hope you're doing better!

Mike DiGioia said...

I'm pretty sure the artichoke (?) in that picture is giving you the finger.

Lin said...

hahaha, very funny. That *custard apple* was devoured by my grandma. The first time I had one was in India. Tasty, but mangoes are still my favorite.

Mike DiGioia said...

Well, the custard apple also looks like it has three eyes. I can see why you like mangoes.