Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Apples

This week everyone in class has to do a bao gao on where they're from. Since most everyone already knows the major stuff about America, I decided to do mine on where I've lived in Seattle. In researching information about Washington, I found that they are the number one producers of apples in the US. Since I always like to bake and share with the class, I found a recipe that could be easily split among 11 people using apples. WA actually produces an even greater percentage of the nation's red raspberries, but they're not in season here, so apples were the next best choice.

Anywho, I got all the ingredients EXCEPT I forgot the cream cheese! By the time I got it in the morning, it was too late to make, since the dough needs an hour to chill and I was still putting together the pictures for my presentation (as well as what I was going to talk about). So I made them last night after class and brought them in this morning.

Mini Apple Turnovers
These were really delicious fresh out of the oven. However, if you can't have them warm, they are also nice cooled off. The dough comes out flaky as if you've gone through the pain of layering it without any of the work. I found the original recipe's sugar to be too much for the kind of apples available in Taipei now (Gala and Fuji), so I've cut back in the version below. I also lengthened the baking time as the small ovens common in Taiwan aren't as efficient.
  • 1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
  • 3/4 c butter, softened
  • 1 egg, separated
  • 3 T cold water, divided
  • 2 c all-purpose flour
  • 7 c thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 6 medium)
  • 1 t grated lemon peel
  • 1/2 c sugar (*reduced from 3/4 c)
  • 2 t cinnamon
  • dashes of ginger, allspice, nutmeg
  1. In a large mixing bowl, mix cream cheese and butter until smooth. Refrigerate the egg white. Mix egg yolk and 2 T water into mixture. Gradually add flour until well blended. Shape pastry into a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
  2. In a large skillet, combine the apples, lemon peel, sugar and spices. Cook over low heat for 8-10 min or until apples are tender.
  3. Turn the pastry onto a lightly floured surface and press to 1/8" thickness. Cut into 24 four inch circles or squares. Top each piece with apple mixture. Brush edges with cold water; fold pastry over and seal edges well. (If you are working with a mini oven as I did, divide the dough in half and keep the other half in the fridge while the first half is prepared and baked.)
  4. In a small bowl, whisk egg white and 1 T cold water; brush over pastry.
  5. Place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 190°C for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and hope i can have those ones too asap... =)