Sunday, March 09, 2008

The Accidental Diabetic

After talking with Popo for FOUR straight hours yesterday, I went to IKEA which is practically across the street. I bought a 12 cup muffin tin - a bit of a splurge, but for lack of bread pans, I thought a muffin tin would do the trick.

So I decided to use up some old apples by making apple muffins. Only, after 20 min of cooking, they were so light in color, I thought they couldn't possibly be done. I left them in 5 min more, and they looked the same. That's when I realized I forgot to add the sugar! But because I had tripled the amount of apple the original recipe called for, and added some extra spices, they turned out tasting alright.

So here's the version of the recipe I made, without the half cup of sugar called for.

Apple Raisin Muffins - No Sugar Added
These make a nice snack or breakfast. They're a bit like pancakes in a muffin form. Just chock full of apples. Since there's no sugar, you get the sweetness from the apples and raisins and extra flavor from the spices. They bake to a very light color - not a nicely browned muffin like other recipes.

1 c all purpose flour
1/2 c whole wheat flour
2 t baking powder
1 t ground cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
dash of allspice
dash of ginger
1/2 t salt
1 egg
1/2 c low fat milk
1/4 c oil (I used olive, but you could use melted butter or canola or even applesauce)
3 c peeled, chopped sweet apple (most call for tart but for lack of sugar the sweet apples I used did the trick - I used 2 small apples)
1/4 c raisins

  1. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, spices and salt. (If you wanted to add some sweetness, this is where the sugar would come in.)
  2. Combine the egg, milk and oil. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Do not over mix!
  3. Fold in the apple and raisins.
  4. Fill 12 greased or lined muffin cups.
  5. Bake at 375F/190C for 20-25 min. Cool for a few minutes before enjoying!

No comments: