Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Hong Kong Notes

A few more notes on my trip to Hong Kong.

I took the bus in Taipei at Minquan and Songjiang Rd, just north of the temple and just south of the 7-11. There's lots of food carts nearby, so you can grab a quick snack at a cheap price (better than overpriced airport food - especially Terminal 1 where there aren't as many options). You buy your ticket at the shop ahead of time. It's a Free Go bus, though there are other busses that run there (City Flyer and maybe AirBus too). When the bus came, it was already full - because my flight was leaving pretty soon, I got to go on it anyways and sit next to the bus driver. For other airport bus options, check out this site: http://www.taipeibus.taipei.gov.tw/english/airportbus.htm

Here's my Hong Kong google map, with restaurant, party and transportation locations.

Hanna took us to two excellent restaurants:
Yi Jiang Nan
33-35 Staunton St, Central
Tel: 2136 0886
I loved the tofu with preserved egg dish here.

Crystal Jade La Mian Xiao Long Bao
Shop B224, Times Square,
Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
Tel: 2506 0080
Dim sum style dinner and lots of good noodles.

I also got some recommendations but didn't have time to check them out. Maybe next time:

Mak's Noodle
麥奀記忠記傳統雲吞麵家
G/F, 37 Wing Kut Street, Central, Hong Kong. (2 minutes walk from MTR Sheung Wan Station Exit E2)
香港中環永吉街 37號地下
Tel: 25416388
Opening Hours: 1030 – 2000 Daily
Style: Guangdong

Yung Kee Restaurant
Tel: (852) 2522 1624
Really good goose. Reservations not required.
Address: 32-40 Wellington Street, Central, Hong Kong
Open til 11:30 pm

Leaving Hong Kong, I took the Airport Express for $100 HKD. My Octopus card only had $42 left on it, so Peggy had to add money for me (in increments of $50 only). It also includes a $50 deposit that can be dipped into. Check in at the counter 1.5 hour before your flight (I was only an hour ahead and they let me go through - and I just made it to my gate).

Coming back to Taiwan, I took the non express Air Bus for just $90 NT (dropped from $110). It was a nice price but much too slow (even accounting for traffic). Next time I'll stick to Evergreen or the Express version or one of the other buses. The 33 drops off at Yuanshan MRT before going all around town and then to Taipei Main Station.

No comments: