Saturday, March 31, 2007

Samois Update: Playing with the kids and cooking

Last week I made Apple Dumplings with Maddie. I chose this because we had a lot of Jonagored (this sounds like the asian pronunciation of Jonagold, but it is actually a variety in its own right) and some green apples to use up. I thought wrapping the dumplings would be a fun part for Maddie. I didn't realize that the 6 apples called for in the recipe was too much and it would be too hard to wrap them. I think they meant 6 of the little variety, but ours were more American sized.

I also chose this recipe because I often think of a dish from French class in high school. We did a partnered project where we each studied a different region in France, and then brought in a regional dish. Brianne and I studied the Basque and made a Gateau Basque, a sort of custard dish (that I continued to make for years - but the recipe is at home and I haven't made it since college), and a really elaborate pastry, where the apple slices make the appearance of fish scales. The fish was beautiful, the dough a lot of work, and I don't remember the taste. We might have made a third dish but I don't remember. Anyways, the dish I do remember eating is what Rebecca and Sarah made - I think they had adjusted their recipe for an apple dish to better serve to all the students. I remember it being delicious Apple Dumplings - individual dumplings for each of us. My memory of it is as a soft bread dough, but as bad as my memory is, maybe it was more of a pastry crust like in this recipe.

Apple Dumplings

2 c flour
2 t powder
1 t salt
2/3 c butter
1/2 c soy milk

Mix the dry ingredients. Cut in the butter. Stir in the milk. Roll out to 12 x 18 rectangle and cut into 6-6" squares.

4 apples, peeled, cored and quartered
6 t sugar
1 T cinnamon
2 t nutmeg
4 T butter

Place apple slices in square, sprinkle with sugar-spice mixture. Dot with butter.

Moisten edges of square, bring the corners together and press to seal. Place 1" apart in 9x13 baking dish.

1/2 c brown sugar
1 1/3 c boiling water
1/3 c butter
dash of cinnamon
dash of nutmeg

Mix together to make syrup. Pour over dumplings. Bake 35-40 minutes at 375F/190C.

Hugh has come a long way in my short time here. The other day he pulled himself up to a standing position. He can also sit up from a standing position, and he can now get both legs behind him from a sitting position into a crawling position (but he can't crawl yet - he's getting better, but mostly just pushes himself backwards). Most of my time these days is spent feeding him. The trick is to distract him with a toy or with eating some bread crackers. When he gets fussy, it's usually because he wants to look at something different or because he's too tired to support himself anymore - helping him stand or flip over seems to quiet him down pretty quickly. And he LOVES bath time. He can splash around in there for a long time as happy as a Bug.

Charlotte is still hit or miss with putting her shoes on the right feet. The other day we went for a walk - it looks like her legs are crooked when they're swapped. She really has on or off days, somewhat related to if she has a nap. Three days ago she had 3 accidents, but there are days where she's good about using the toilet (but it seems more like when Mom is keeping vigilant about it, rather than her own self-awareness of needing to go). When she needs help doing something, she'll often say, "Me not can." Bad grammar, but really cute. She really enjoys spending time with another 3 year old, Finn. On Tuesday he came over while their moms did a yoga class (his mom is the teacher). Fortunately, his father got a new job. Unfortunately, it is out of the country and they will be moving soon. It will be a huge loss for Wubby.

Madeleine has been really good this past week. She is really good about including Hugh while playing, sharing toys with him and cleaning up (even if the mess isn't hers). It gets rough sometimes when she plays with her best friends, Izzie and Sophia. She does a lot of Indian style dancing (she learned from watching a movie she's seen over and over) and loves to dress up.


My sister really shot me a look and asked me what I had been teaching her when Maddie said today, "God is a person and Google is his dog." I quickly defended myself and said that is not what I taught her. When I first got here, Maddie had told me that God knows everything. She asked me if I asked God things - I told her, "No, I tend to ask Google." A few days later she brought up God again. I reminded her that my preference was for Google. Then today she started talking about God and a Dog, the sort of nonsense that comes out of kids mouths sometimes. By the time she had decided to make Google the Dog, my sister was in the room. (Apparently, my 5 year old niece isn't the first to be connecting Google with God. And to be perfectly clear, I don't actually think Google is God.)

I can't seem to motivate myself to exercise here - at least not consistently, and nothing aerobic. The easiest thing to do is weights, where the kids are the weights. I have three to choose from, though some are squirmier than others. To make it entertaining for them it has to be different every time. Last week I suggested playing "Flip The Kids!" - they heartily agreed and then asked to play. You basically pick each one up and flip them around. Works the arms. Yesterday we were supposed to go swimming and while waiting, Maddie said, "After swimming we can play Flip The Kids!" Maybe it will sweep the nation. (Note: Flip the Kids also involves asking the kid to be flipped a question. Use a different question for each flip.)

This past weekend I made red bean paste for the first time. Later I made Bao Zi dough to wrap them. Unfortunately, we ran out of white flour and I had to finish the last cup using whole wheat flour, which I highly DON'T recommend. It seems drier and grainier (in an unpleasant way). My brother in law hates red bean, so I made 2 varieties. The red bean was properly bau-ed (wrapped) into a bun. For the others, I rolled the dough having spread it with sesame oil, salt and some freshly chopped green onions. They were a big hit with Maddie as well.

No comments: