Saturday, May 12, 2007

In my belly

I went to Paris Chinatown on Thursday with my sister, Charlotte, Hugh and Laura. We went crazy with the mangoes and ended up picking up a few varieties...including some from India! They weren't labeled with a specific name, so I'm not sure if they are the hyped up Alphonso or something else. I tried one with the girls after I picked up Maddie from school. It was deliciously sweet. My only concern is that Edo will eat them all before I return. In fact, I'm pretty sure they'll be gone as there are only 2 left. However, I also picked up a package of 8 baby mangoes. They are ridiculously cute, small and quite fragrant. But I'm hoping at least one will be left by the time I get back - they seem quite hard now despite the ripe smell.

We had lunch at a Vietnamese restaurant above one of the Tang Frere's. I had a spicy pho done central style along with some iced do-jyong (soy milk). The owner was really friendly and kept giving Wubby some treats - but she was too shy to say Thank you to him - until I said she couldn't eat the lollipop until she said something to him - she ended up saying bye ever so quietly. Both girls are really hesitant to say anything to strangers - and it makes me a bit sad. In my time off, it's the strangers who have taken time to talk to me that make much of my time so memorable.

Tonight I went to a school play with Laura, Gordon and Jupiter. It was the first time I met Jup - he was quite friendly, enjoyed talking and seemed curious. He told me there were only 6 people in the world with his name, including him. Thurstan was one of the stars, as Bad Bart, in the Wild Wild West. The play was done in English so easy for us Americans to follow.



I've only just finished packing for my upcoming trip to Belgium and the Netherlands. I leave in the morning, so probably not a peep from me for a while. If any one has any advice for me, do leave a comment or drop me an email. I'll be in Bruges, Gent and Amsterdam.

Before I go to sleep, I leave you with the 5 stages of Buggles Falling Asleep in the Car...


Awake

Droopy Eyes

Yawning

Rubbing Eyes

Asleep

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mangoes are the hardest things to peel. I rank them up there with crab. They are tasty but way too much trouble to prepare to be worth doing yourself.

Lin said...

Blasphemy! I can teach you how to eat a mango without peeling! My family uses the cut-in-half-and-spoon-out method, which is my favorite. I also occasionally use the armadillo method. Neither of them require peeling. Of course, I have to know who you are before I can teach you...name?